What Is Abilify?
Abilify is an anti psychotic medication used to treat schizophrenia, manic depression, autism, and other serious psychological disorders. Abilify works by modifying the actions of neurotransmitters in the brain. Is is produced by Otsuka America Pharmaceutical, Inc. and was approved for use by the FDA in November of 2002.
Problems Associated With Abilify
Currently, Abilify has been linked to numerous cases of compulsive gambling and other pathological behaviors including excessive shopping, overeating, and hyper sexuality. These side effects of the drug are thought to be caused by Abilify’s influence of dopamine and serotonin receptors in the brain.
Symptoms Of Compulsive Gambling
The following symptoms can indicate that an individual may have a compulsive gambling problem:
- Gaining a thrill from taking big gambling risks
- Taking increasingly bigger gambling risks
- Preoccupation with gambling
- Reliving past gambling experiences
- Gambling as a way to escape problems or feelings of helplessness, guilt or depression
- Taking time from work or family life to gamble
- Concealing or lying about gambling
- Feeling guilt or remorse after gambling
- Borrowing money or stealing to gamble
- Failed efforts to cut back on gambling