What Is An IVC Filter
IVC Filters are medical devices that were designed to help prevent blood clots. These devices are implanted into the body to stop blood clots from traveling to prevent strokes. IVC Filters are most commonly used in patients whom suffer from deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolus, victims of trauma, immobile patients, or others who are at a high risk for clotting.
What Are Common IVC Filter Devices
- ALN Implants Recoverable ALN filter
- Angiotech Option Vena Cava Filter
- B. Braun Vena Tech Filters
- Boston Scientific Greenfield Filter
- Bard IVC Filters
- Cook Medical Celect Vena Cava Filter
- Cook Medical Gunther Tulip Filter
- Cordis Johnson & Johnson TrapEase and Optease
- Crux Biomedical Vena Cava Filter
- Gianturco-Roehm Bird’s Nest Vena Cava Filter
- Gunther Basket Filter
- Rafael Medical Technologies SafeFlo Vena Cava Filter
- Recovery Nitinol Filter
IVC Filter Side Effects
IVC Filters were developed to only be used for a limited period of time, however, as these devices are implanted surgically, often times in emergency rooms, it is unlikely that the surgeons will not see these patients again which increases the likelihood that the filter will remain in place for much longer than it should. When IVC Filters remain in place too long, the likelihood of the device splintering increases.
Implanted IVC Filters have shown to have a high rate of fracture and other serious side effects. In fact, one in four IVC Filters fracture, which can potentially cause death. When fractured, the filter is carried away in the blood stream into the heart or lungs.
The FDA warns that IVC Filters left in patients have a high risk of life threatening injuries. In fact, a study conducted at the New England Society For Vascular Surgery noted a 31% fracture rate for IVC Filters.
- Blood clots may clog the filter, slowing blood flow into the lungs
- Compromised respiration
- Device erosion
- Filter fracture
- Perforation of the inferior vena cava, heart, lungs, and/or other organs
- Permanent implantation where the device cannot be removed